The Wireless Application Service Providers' Association (WASPA's) Do Not Contact list is a service provided for consumers' protection.
The DNC list works for South African mobile numbers, and cannot be used for international mobile numbers roaming in SA.
WASPA members engaged in direct SMS marketing campaigns are required to check the WASPA Do Not Contact list on a weekly basis. This means that there may be up to one week's delay between adding your number to the DNC list and all WASPA members blocking direct marketing to your number.
1. Any member of the public utilising a South African Mobile Network Operator (MNO) may add their number on this website:
- If your number is not already in the DNC list, an SMS will be sent to your handset with the option to reply BLOCK, via SMS, or to follow a URL to
confirm that you want your number blocked from receiving direct marketing SMSs.
- If your number is already in the DNC list, you will be provided with an option to remove the number from the DNC list.
2. Alternatively, any member of the public can dial a USSD code on their handset to be added to the WASPA DNC list:
- Dial *120*69269# and press 1 to check the status of your number.
- If your number is not already in the DNC list, you must confirm that it should be added.
- If the number is already in the DNC list, you will be provided with an option to remove the number.
3. A user can also send an SMS to the shortcode number 40662:
- Sending an SMS to the shortcode number with the message “BLOCK” will add your number to the DNC list, and you will receive a confirmation SMS.
- Alternatively, sending an SMS with the message “UNBLOCK” will remove your number from the DNC list, and you will receive a confirmation SMS.
- Replies to confirmation messages will be charged at your standard subscriber bundle SMS rates
- USSD access is charged at 20c per 20 seconds
- Messages to shortcode 40662 are billed at up to 50c per message